Monday 9 February 2009

Hello everybody. Its nice to write to you all again. Anyway, skype still not working, and I have given up trying to get it in the library. I think my best bet for skype will be to try to get it in my house.

Anyway, the rest of my life is going fairly smoothly. I co-mediated an argument in class today, which was a complete pain in the ass. I mean, I think we can all agree that people can be a tad unreasonable at times, but it must be excruciating being a conflict mediator. Don’t get me wrong, I think I got a lot out of it, and it was only for about half an hour or so (when the teacher had to stop it) but wow.

In other news, I’m starting to meet other adults, besides my host parents. For example, I was at a friends house last night, planning out the facilitation of today’s class, and when her host dad opened the door, he was able to refer to me by my first name and greeted me with a smile so warm I’m considering wearing sunscreen next time I see him. I mean, I have met him before, but only twice and only for a few minuets each time. Or, today, I was walking down the road as an elementary school was being let out and a woman said “Hello, Alex,” as she walked by. I had only actually seen this woman once before at my host families house for about five minuets before I had to go to dance class. My point is every one here is really outgoing and gregarious. (In stark contrast to all those jerks in America)

I’m really enjoying cooking for myself, but I don’t feel like I’m doing it in such a way that would open me to experiences about certain cultures in Derry. I mean, sure, I can get everything I need in Tesco or Spar or I can go down to the corner store and get some candy late at night, but I haven’t been able to find a bakery or local produce store. I saw a butchers once, but haven’t been able to find it since. I might just need to get my host family to give me a tour.

Anyway, that’s all my news for now. This blog might start to get boring because I am going to start doing more homework and might start having fewer adventures. But I will be on every once in a while to say Hi and let everyone know that I am thinking of them.

Peace, Love, and Conflict Resolution

--Alex

5 comments:

  1. Alex i took the office quiz (the official one) it was too easy and i got a 20/20 on my second try. I got a 19 on my first

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to reading your blog, it was good to get your phone call. I feel much more in touch again and reassured that you're doing well.And in a pinch,I can call you.Try to keep up the regular contact,as much as you can.Why don't you go grocery shopping with your host family to get the familiarity you're looking for.And remember my suggestion to eat with the family as much as feasible. You can always do your part by cleaning up afterward.
    Grandad and I are waiting for the weather to get better so we can start our strolls through the neighborhood, for health reasons. But we will definitely be walking on the beach in a week and a half.You know Kit's heading to sunny Florida on Thursday.
    I am curious about Derry and Londonderry. Give me a lesson about these places when you have spare time.
    Love,Omi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex i have a Gameknot Account. My name is Sensaikit676 if you need to know it. The second i did it i realized i should've done Sempai like fro the office.I'm itching to kick your butt. Have your people call my people when we can you know play...

    P.S. Should i send messages to you on the blog or on Facebook? Chuckberry me a message

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved hearing from you. Call often! Missing you.

    Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex, your email is not working. Is it full? Please check and send a message that it is working again!

    ReplyDelete