Friday 6 February 2009

Hello blog-followers and would-be skypers. Unfortunatly, skyping with Laura did not work out today, and so you will all need to wait before you talk to me. I have talked to the IT guy in the library about how I can get my computer some wireless from my house, which would be both more consistent as well as more convenient, since I’m pretty sure that, technically, we aren’t supposed to talk to much in the library, even if our voices are low. (I would still do it for all of you, but, well, you know…)

Anyway, life here is still OK. We just had our third dance class, and we are all getting pretty good. Its kind of fun as well. I can see why people liked doing it so much in, you know, the bowels of ships, etc. We also had our first official tin whistle class. We are learning a couple of songs, and I have gotten some music offline to learn. I’m trying to learn a song called ‘Ann Maguire’s Silver Wedding’, which is really pretty. Those of you who have never heard this song can go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fctBQS7ws
(I imagine that this link will be seeing a lot of use)
Anyway, everything else is going fine. I do feel a bit homesick, unfortunately, and am worried that that might be affecting how I am able to enjoy these experiences. But I will be here for a while, and I hear that this is fairly common. Anyway, I hope you are all well. Have to go because the library is about to close, but hope I get to see you soon.

--Alex

P.S. I have been hearing from a few people that they really enjoy reading this blog. Now, maybe they are just being nice and trying to conceal the fact that my blog sucks, but if they are, I would like to remain oblivious to that, and thank a few people. First, Mom and Omi, who have a way, like most mothers, of beating many of my good habits into me without an ounce of mercy, no matter how much I beg and plead for the path of least resistance. I hope the hard work is paying off. Second, Laura, whose demand for emails last semester gave me some pretty invaluable practice, and whose love and support has been wonderful in more ways then I can count. In Gaelic. (Unless the word for twenty is just the word for ten spoken twice in a row, I can only count to 19) Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the shoutout, ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't responded to you in couple of days.The picture is nice and I am glad you were successful. Looking forward to more. But it needs a caption.How did you get to this place?
    For my sake you don't have to get too technically advanced -- leave me out of the skyping, i don't even know what that is. The blog and an occassional E-mail will be fine for me.You could ask your host family if we can call you at a prearranged time on their phone.All you will have to do is send their number and when to call you.
    I have spent time with Kit this week since he has been sick with strep throat.Tomorrow I'll have a late breakfast with him at Occassionally Yours.Grandad and I are doing fine.
    Keep on getting this Irish culture into your system.Love you.
    Omi

    ReplyDelete